Tuesday, April 28, 2009

SAVE THE DOGS

MUMMY:

About 27 years ago, a friend of mine, L - introduced me to cat rescue. I remembered how she and I used to chase cats in Bugis Street and Desker Road, catch them with nets and haul them to SPCA for sterilisation before bringing them back to the streets to release them. She would get the prostitutes in those streets to help release the sterilised cats from their cages AFTER the cats have fully woken up from their post-op drowsy state. I stopped doing cat sterilisation work when I became allergic to their fur and when the demands of my official job increased.

Dogs in need have always popped up at the most unexpected places and times. I picked up an abandoned Great Dane from Yio Chu Kang (and adopted him when no one claimed him), a German Shepherd pup from Chua Chu Kang cemetery while attending a funeral, a dachshund from the busy Marymount Road area . Dachshund was on the three lane main road. Had to stop car the middle of the road , chase dog, jump into drain in high heels (because dog fell into drain while running from me) and pull dog out. There was a mongrel pup at a chapel where we were holding services. Had carry the the manja pup (four paws in the air) to a Malay-Chinese family for them to adopt him that very day. But all these were occasional. As and when the need arose.

The Davee episode (see earlier post regarding the mongrel with a bagel shaped growth on her back: malignant skin cancer) propelled me back into this ministry. This time, my involvement is limited to helping out with publicity (to get fosterers and adoptors) and providing transportation when possible. Worked with teams of people who tried to help Faith (the Ponggol rooftop pup), Panda, Dale (the Golden Retriever), Snowy(the terrier) and a few others. It is really a privilege to be working with such committed and passionate people.







Then L my friend called me up for dinner. She introduced me to two young men who had been saving dogs from the streets and from puppy mills with some help from her. They told me about a corgi girl in the puppy mill....(later, they told me about a corgi boy in the same facility)...and the rest is history.


(Doubleclick on the photo to increase the size)


1.




2




3.





4.





5.



There are a couple of other dogs there that we need to 'spring out' before this puppy mill closes. One is a small sized Lab. The other is a HUSKY who needs to be a solo dog in a home (he has attacked and hurt several dogs in the puppy mill). We need fosterers. We need adoptors who can provide a loving FOREVER home for the already traumatised dogs. And we need them FAST because TIME IS RUNNING OUT for the dogs. Please help.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Besides fostering or adopting, is there any other way we can help? A donation?

- Kay Lii

Barn2 (Barnabas Ju-Ern) the Samsengkia said...

I have told potential adoptors that they will need to pay for the cost of the dog rescued (NOTE: we dont make any profit from this at all. It is just reimbursing the cost of buying the dog out) plus the initial medical checkup and essential jabs etc. Of course if they have real financial problems, we can always work something out.

But the basic needs are
a. responsible fosterers
b. adoptors who will provide a loving and a 'forever' home for the dog
c. transport volunteers-who can help bring some of the dogs to the vet, groomers etc.
d. donors of food items and cleaning items for the shelters.
(Can give you a 'wish list' from some of the shelters that we have links with).

Do let me know which of the above you'd like to help with. Tks

Unknown said...

I'd like to help with (d). Please let me know how to go about donating, thanks!

- Kay Lii

Barn2 (Barnabas Ju-Ern) the Samsengkia said...

Please email me at artos97@hotmail.com with your contact. I will connect you with the people involved with the shelters/rehoming.

I usually prefer to give IN KIND rather than cash. I dont handle money so its between you and the shelters/ rehomers.

Is there one of the dogs that you want to give help to or you dont have any preference? Several rehomers and about three shelters are involved in what I have written. Let me know which you want to focus on. Thanks.

Ode said...

Regarding the dilemma, I have another view...