Wednesday, March 12, 2008

HERO AGAIN...Marky caught a rat!

BARN2:

Ko Ko Marky is our Honoured Guest Blogger today.
Something happened last night and Mummy declared him a hero (again!). (Hmmm....why is it that we corgis are not usually the ones doing heroic acts??)

MARKY:
It was a dark and stormy night. (Not joking).
It rained and it rained and it rained.
I was miserable throughout the day ( I hate rain and thunder). Was hiding in Aunty Lu's room until she retired to bed.
Then I was in my own bed...trying to sleep.

Suddenly, I sensed a movement. Something big entered the old cooker next to my bed quarters....
It smelt funny.

I barked and I barked and I barked.
Mummy came to see what the ruckus was all about.
She saw me barking at the cooker.


She opened the door of the cylinder chamber. Nothing.
She opened the door of the oven. Nothing.
I wasnt letting up.
Its still there.

She opened the door of the oven again.
It was then that that creature dashed out....

(Mummy: It was probably a Norway rat, one of the most familiar sewer rat types in Singapore. Photo from internet below. It was the biggest sized one I have ever seen! A good six inches. The rain must have forced it to leave its usual hiding place and it entered our open kitchen)


MARKY: I ran after it. It jumped into the shallow drain. It didnt get too far.
I was a street dog when I was a pup. A stray. I used to forage for food in the lallang infested areas of Loyang. Had to be a good hunter to survive.
The rat didnt have a fighting chance.


Yes, he squealed. I could hear Mummy yelling for me not to kill it.
What did she want me to do with it?
Keep it as a pet?

Mummy has been known to release captured shrews at the grasslands of old Tampines Road and MacRitchie Reservoir. If the shrews-"chnee chu" in Hokkien- didnt smell that bad, she might have kept them as pets!

But it was all over in a few seconds. I did my job as a watchdog. Aunty Lu came and removed the dead rat while Mummy held on to my collar. (Mummy: Marky was so excited that he would not let Aunty Lu remove the dead rat. There was no blood. Probably internal injury.)

After a while, Aunty Lu and Mummy made a big fuss of me. Said I was a hero, a good watchdog....etc. Gave me some doggy treats as well. Hmmm....

Last week I was a Blood Donor (B.D).
Now I am a Rat Catcher (R.C.).
MARKY ERN-JIE, B.D. R.C.
Wow.

2 comments:

Dexter.Yew said...

Well done kor-kor Marky!!! You are indeed a hero and excellent guard dog. You put all your pointy ears siblings to shame (that includes me... ahem!) You are my hero, my idol... I want to grow up to be like you!!!

Dexter Tee2

Barn2 (Barnabas Ju-Ern) the Samsengkia said...

Ko Ko Marky says:
Thank you. If only my height challenged bro and sis at home are so respectful of me.
I wish long long.
Thank you Dexter!